Being a parent is hard. Sometimes you need to limit what your kids can do on their iPhones or Macs, and sometimes you want to be able to keep an eye on their activities in case anything suspicious pops up. Safari Parental Controls makes that possible, and it’s easy to set up and use.
Safari’s parental controls are extremely helpful for parents who want a little more control over what their children do with their devices. It’s a really easy way to keep your kids from accessing explicit content, or even just to prevent them from going to certain websites that you don’t want them to see.
When you set up parental controls for your child’s phone, it’s good to first ask yourself what kind of limits you’d like to place. Do you want to restrict access to certain sites? Apps? In-app purchases? Categories like social networking or video games? Each of these options has a different level of control that can be customised based on your needs.
You can use porn blocker apps to restrict access to certain websites. Also, use these browsers with Parental Controls to keep your children safe.
What Safari’s parental controls do? Safari’s parental controls allow you to automatically block adult content on your device. You can also set limits for how much time your kids can spend on their devices each day, as well as which websites they can visit and what apps they can use.
Block Websites on iPhone and iPad in Safari
If you need to set restrictions on the Safari web browser, whether it’s for your kids’ benefit or to keep yourself from being distracted during work hours, you can do so using the new iOS parental controls.
Safari also allows you to set specific websites as approved or blocked. For example, if you want your children to use only PBS Kids and not any other sites that may be less suitable for young eyes (or ears), you can create a list of approved websites and block others. To do this:
1. Open Settings and scroll down > Screen Time.
2. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions settings.
3. Tap Content Restrictions > Web Content.
4. Select between Unrestricted Access, Limit Adult Websites, or Allowed Websites.
Safari’s parental controls have three different options for websites: unrestricted access, limit adult websites, or allow websites.
If you’re worried about your child accidentally stumbling upon inappropriate content online, Limit Adult Websites is a good option for you. This setting will prevent Safari from opening any website with adult content by redirecting users to a blank page.
Unrestricted Access allows both children and adults to view any kind of website they want.
Restrict content and Block Websites on Mac in Safari
1. Open Spotlight search on your MacBook using command + Space bar.
2. Search, Screen Time.
3. Press Enter and open Screen Time settings.
4. Enable content and privacy restrictions. Click on Content & privacy in the left sidebar.
5. Choose Content from the four options and click on “Limit adult websites.” All the websites with inappropriate content will be blocked from your safari browser.
6. You can also Click on customise and add the websites which you want to block.
How do I set up parental controls for Safari?
Apple’s Screen Time feature helps you monitor how you use your device and make it easier to put down. As part of this, it can protect you from adult content on the web by filtering out websites that might contain mature or offensive content.
What can I control with Parental Controls?
Here’s what you can then control:
- Apps: You can restrict access to games by rating or limit purchases in the App Store and iTunes Store.
- Music, Movies, TV Shows: You can limit access to explicit material and set a limit on movie and TV show rentals from iTunes.
- Web: You can restrict access to explicit websites, as well as Safari.
- Camera: You can disable the camera completely.
- Microphone: You can turn off the microphone if you don’t want them recording anything without your permission.
- Allow built-in apps and features.
- Prevent explicit content and content ratings.
- Prevent web content.
- Restrict Siri web search.
- Restrict Game Center.
Use Screen Time on your child’s devices
Screen time is what parents use to limit their child’s smartphone and computer usage, so they can balance all the benefits of the internet with all the risks. It helps kids learn to use technology responsibly, instead of letting it take over their lives.
The way it works is pretty simple: parents select the amount of time they want their child to be able to spend on their devices per day, and then Screen Time limits that amount of time by disabling the device once it runs out of time. It’s a great way to help your kid get a handle on technology and make good decisions about how they spend their time.
Plus, it prevents them from falling into the sort of habits that might have them spending too much time on smartphones or computers in general. Your kid will have fun doing something else instead!
- How to Set up Parental Controls on Youtube
- How to Set Up Parental Controls on Chromebook
- Enable Parental Controls on PlayStation
Parvinder Singh is a seasoned IT developer and network engineer with over 5 years of experience. He is also a skilled tech columnist, offering insights on the latest trends and developments in the tech industry.