Sharing the iPhone calendar with family members can simplify coordination and enhance communication. Learn how to effortlessly share the iPhone calendar with family, fostering seamless collaboration and efficient organization of events.
Here at Parentaldaiy, our team members also have a hectic schedule. Gurmeet Kaur, our Parenting editor, says it is sometimes difficult to maintain and organize a family home and member needs while working long hours.
She says most of the time; she needs to remember about birthdays or family gettogether and sometimes grocery shopping. But, a shared family calendar app like google calendar, OurHome, Cozi Family Organizer or iPhone Calendar can help organize the daily house needs.
However, modern technology has made organizing and synchronizing calendars more convenient. Apple’s iPhone calendar offers a powerful tool for managing personal and professional commitments.
Below are the 5 Steps to Share iPhone Calendar with Family + Share Events, Reminders and Tasks
The article below will explore how to share an iPhone calendar with your family, enabling seamless coordination and fostering better communication.
Step 1: Set Up iCloud Family Sharing
If you want to share your iPhone calendar with family members, including spouses and children, you must first set up iCloud Family Sharing on your iPhone or iPad.
This feature allows up to six family members to share purchases, Apple Music subscriptions, and, most importantly, calendars.
Follow these steps to activate iCloud Family Sharing:
- Go to “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Tap on your name at the top of the settings menu.
- Scroll down and tap “Family Sharing.”
- Tap “Get Started” and follow the prompts to set up your family group.
- Tap Add Member in the top right corner to add a family member.
- Ensure each family member has an Apple ID and is in the same family group.
- If your child doesn’t have an Apple ID, tap Create an Account for a Child.
- Tap Invite People.
Step 2: Create a Calendar and Enable Calendar Sharing
Once you have enabled iCloud Family Sharing on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, you can enable calendar sharing to ensure everyone in your family can access and contribute to the shared calendar.
Follow the below steps:
- Open the “Calendar” app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Calendars” tab at the bottom of the screen.
- Select “Add Calendar” to create a new shared calendar or tap on an existing one.
- Give the calendar an easily identifiable name, such as “Family Calendar.” Tap Done.
- You can also Toggle the “Public Calendar” option to allow anyone with the link to access the calendar (optional).
- After creating a new calendar, look for the calendar you want to share with your family and tap on “i” in front of the calendar name
- Under “Shared with,” tap “Add Person” to invite family members to join the shared calendar.
- Enter the email address or phone number associated with each family member’s Apple ID.
- Customize the sharing settings for each family member, such as allowing them to make changes or only view events.
- Tap “Add” to send the invitation to each family member.
Step 3: Accept the Invitation
Once you’ve sent the calendar-sharing invitations, each family member must accept the invitation to start accessing the shared calendar. Follow these steps to accept the invitation:
- Family members should check their email or Messages app for the calendar invitation.
- Tap on the invitation to open it.
- Select “Join Calendar” or “Accept” to become part of the shared calendar.
- If prompted, sign in with their Apple ID to complete the process.
- The shared calendar will now appear on their iPhone’s “Calendar” app.
Step 4: Managing and Collaborating on the Shared Calendar
With the shared calendar successfully set up, it’s time to explore its functionalities and make the most of its collaborative features. Here are some valuable tips:
- Add Events to Apple Calendar and Share it with Family: To add an event to the shared calendar, open the “Calendar” app and tap the “+” button in the top-right corner. Fill in the event details, select the shared calendar from the “Calendar” dropdown menu, and tap “Add.”
- Editing and Deleting Events: To modify or delete an event, tap on the event in the calendar view and select “Edit” or “Delete Event.” Changes made to events will be reflected on all family members’ devices.
- Setting Reminders: When creating or editing an event, you can set reminders to ensure everyone stays informed. Tap on the “Alert” field and select the preferred reminder option.
- Assigning Colors: Assigning colors to specific family members can help differentiate their events easily. Open the shared calendar settings, tap on a family member’s name, and select a color for their events.
- Viewing Individual Schedules: While the shared calendar provides an overview of everyone’s events, individual schedules can be accessed by tapping a specific family member’s name in the “Calendars” tab.
- Enabling Notifications: To receive notifications for shared calendar events, ensure that “Calendar” notifications are enabled in the “Settings” app. Go to “Settings” > “Notifications” > “Calendar” and customize the alert settings according to your preferences.
Sharing an iPhone calendar with your family through iCloud Family Sharing simplifies coordination and enhances communication within the household. Following the steps outlined in this guide, you can quickly establish a shared calendar, enabling seamless collaboration and efficient organization of events.
Parvinder Singh is a seasoned IT developer and network engineer with over 5 years of experience. He is also a skilled tech columnist, offering insights on the latest trends and developments in the tech industry.