Learn how to set up parental controls on iPhone to protect your child’s online safety. Discover the built-in features like restrictions and explore third-party apps for enhanced control. Safeguard their device usage with age-appropriate content filters and personalized settings.
In today’s digital age, ensuring children’s online safety (whether young or teenagers ) and managing their screen time has become a top concern for parents; it is crucial for every parent to lay out some rules and set screen time limits for better time management.
With children’s widespread use of devices like iPhones and iPads at home or in school, new or experienced parents must understand and utilize the built-in parental control features available on Apple iOS devices like iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple Watch.
The below comprehensive guide from Parvinder Singh, software head at Parentaldaily, will walk you through the process of setting up and using parental controls on iOS devices, which will focus on the iOS Screen Time feature and Family Sharing settings.
1. First Create a Child account under Family Sharing on iPhone
The iOS Screen Time feature offers a range of tools to manage and monitor your child’s device usage.
- To enable and access Screen Time on iOS devices, go to the Settings app
- Tap on your name .
- Tap person icon “👤” at the right top corner of your iOS device.
- Now Choose “This is My Child’s [Device]” or “create a child account” to enable screen time or Parental controls on your Child’s Phone
- Follow the prompts.
Once enabled, you’ll have access to the Screen Time dashboard, which provides valuable insights into your child’s activity.
The Screen Time dashboard on your iPhone or iPad includes many features, such as Set Content & Privacy Restrictions, Preventing explicit Content and content ratings, Restrict Game Center, Preventing web content, and Restricting Siri web search, which allows parents or family members to restrict the amount of time your child can spend on specific apps, websites or you block inappropriate Content on Mac, iPhone, android and chromebook.
You can also establish downtime restrictions, defining specific hours when certain apps or device usage is off-limits. Additionally, the content and privacy restrictions feature enables you to manage what type of Content your child can access and block inappropriate websites or features.
Understanding the Screen Time passcode is crucial, as it ensures that only authorized users can modify or bypass the established parental control settings. Set a passcode known only to you and which can is not easy accessible.
2. How to Enable Family Sharing on iPhone
Family Sharing is a powerful feature that enables you to create a family group, linking multiple Apple IDs together. Setting up a Family Sharing group is simple:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on your name on the top.
- Tap on “Set Up Family Sharing.”
- Now tap on the family member or child name who you want to manage and enable parental controls for.
- Tap on Screen Time and Follow the instructions.
Once the group is created, you can invite family members to join.
Family Sharing offers several benefits for parental control. Firstly, it allows you to manage screen time across all devices within the family group. You can set consistent rules and limitations for each family member’s app usage and screen time. This ensures a balanced digital lifestyle for everyone.
Furthermore, Family Sharing enables you to control app purchases and downloads. When a child wants to download an app, you will receive a notification to approve or decline the request. This ensures that children are not accessing inappropriate or unauthorised apps without parental consent.
Family Sharing also provides options to limit access to explicit Content and inappropriate apps. By enabling content restrictions, you can set age-appropriate filters and block access to explicit Content, adult websites, and other potentially harmful Content.
3. Implementing Additional Parental Control Measures:
A. Configuring Restrictions for Child on iPhone:
One of the ways to enhance parental control on iOS devices is by configuring restrictions. These settings give you more granular control over specific apps, content types, and device features. Here’s how you can access and configure restrictions on your iPhone or iPad:
Enable the Restrictions settings on iOS devices under family sharing:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on [Your name] at the top
- Scroll down and tap on “Family Sharing.”
- Then tap “Screen Time” and select the Member or child name.
- Tap on “Content & Privacy Restrictions.” You may be prompted to enter your Screen Time passcode.
- Turn on Content and privacy restriction for your child
Follow the instructions to restrict Music, Movies, Tv shows, Books, Apps, Mobile data, Messaging, calling Web content and websites, and more.
Enabling restrictions for specific apps, content types, and device features:
- Within the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” menu, you’ll find various options to restrict specific aspects of the device.
- Tap on “Allowed Apps” to select which apps your child can access. You can disable certain apps that are not suitable for their age or disable the ability to install new apps.
- To restrict content types like explicit music, movies, or apps, tap “Content Restrictions” and choose the appropriate settings based on your child’s age and preferences.
- Explore other options like privacy settings, location sharing, and more to customize the restrictions further.
Setting up age-appropriate content filters and restrictions:
- In the “Content & Privacy Restrictions” menu, tap “Content Restrictions.”
- Here, you can set up filters for various content types, such as web content, Siri, Game Center, and more.
- Tap on each content type to select the appropriate age rating or choose “Don’t Allow” to restrict access entirely.
B. Using Third-Party Parental Control Apps:
While iOS devices offer built-in parental control features, third-party apps in the App Store provide additional functionality and customization options. Here’s how you can utilize these apps for enhanced control:
Exploring third-party apps available in the App Store:
- Launch the App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
- Search for “parental control” or related keywords through the available apps.
- Read the app descriptions, user reviews, and ratings to assess their suitability for your needs.
Evaluating features and functionality of popular parental control apps:
- Look for app blocking, screen time scheduling, website filtering, and remote monitoring features.
- Consider the ease of use, reliability, and compatibility with your iOS device version.
Installing and configuring a suitable third-party app for enhanced control
- Once you have chosen an app, tap “Get” or the app’s price to download and install it on your device.
- Follow the app’s setup instructions to configure the desired parental control settings.
- Customize the app’s features according to your preferences, such as setting time limits, blocking specific websites or apps, and monitoring your child’s online activities.
It’s important to note that while third-party apps offer additional control options, they may have varying levels of effectiveness and compatibility. It’s recommended to thoroughly research and choose a reputable app that suits your requirements.
By implementing restrictions and exploring third-party parental control apps, you can exercise even more control over your child’s device usage, ensuring their safety and promoting responsible digital habits.
Our Software head, Parvinder Singh, highly recommends parents to use Parental apps, Screen Time and Family sharing on iOS devices to keep your children safe from inappropraite content and manage their time efficiently.
Parvinder Singh is a seasoned IT developer and network engineer with over 5 years of experience. He is also a skilled tech columnist, offering insights on the latest trends and developments in the tech industry.