Discover how you can set up and customize “Fortnite Parental Controls” as a parent or a guardian with the below comprehensive guide. Ensure a safe and responsible gaming experience for your child by implementing age restrictions, playtime limits, and communication filters.
Fortnite, a terrific game loved by gamers worldwide, is a popular online multiplayer game that has captured the hearts of millions of players worldwide, including many young gamers and our team members here at Parentaldaily.
Check out our comprehensive guide on “How to block Websites on Chromebook” for step-by-step instructions and helpful tips. Also, Understand why schools often block websites, games, and social media to prioritize educational focus and ensure a secure learning environment.
Most of our team members also love playing Fortnite with their friends, although in moderation. Parvinder Singh, our Software head, says he loves playing Fortnite on weekends with his friends while enjoying the day off.
The below article will provide a step-by-step guide on how to set up and customize Fortnite parental controls across various platforms, empowering you to create a secure gaming environment.
First, you need to Understand Fortnite Parental Controls
Enabling Parental Controls on Gaming Consoles:
- Xbox: You have to access the Family Settings on your Xbox console and follow the prompts to set up restrictions and manage gameplay time limits, as Xbox provides many default settings.
- PlayStation: If your kid is using PlayStation for gaming, you have to navigate to the Settings menu, select Parental Controls/Family Management, and create a child account with customized restrictions; it is easy to set up with a few steps, which are described below.
>> Enable Parental Controls on Playstation.
- Nintendo Switch: Access the Parental Controls app on your Nintendo Switch console or use the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls mobile app to set up age restrictions and manage playtime limits using the below steps instructed by our team.
We have also created several guides on parental controls, including recommending the best parental controls for iPhone and setting up parental settings on iPhone, Safari browser, Disney Plus service, enabling parental control on Chromebook, youtube account, and Samsung phones.
1. How to Setup Parental Control Settings on Fortnite and Epic Account Portal
How to Activate Parental Control Settings within Fortnite and setup a Pin
- Launch the Fortnite game on your console and navigate to the settings menu.
- Look for the “Parental Controls” section in the main menu and select “Enable.”
- Follow the instructions to set up a PIN code restricting access to certain features and settings.
Every time your child wants to add a new friend, Fortnite will ask for a pin code, so without your permission, your child cannot send or accept an Epic Games friend request. You can set this setting to off or on if you want to give your kid control of friends’ requests.
Restrict Voice Chat and Text Permissions
Using Fortnite parental controls, you can restrict your child from talking to other players. These are the below settings you can set for voice and text chatting.
- Friends & Teammates
- Friends Only
Set the settings according to your preference.
Age Restrictions, Mature Language, and Content Filters in Fortnite
- Fortnite offers different age restrictions and content filters based on the player’s age.
- You can also enable Mature Language settings, which will filter out any mature language or profanity used in chat. Symbols will replace any mature word in the Fortnite chat
- Choose the appropriate age rating and content filters that align with your child’s age and maturity level.
Set Playtime Limits and Managing In-Game Purchases:
- Use the parental control settings on your console or device to set Fortnite’s daily or weekly playtime limits.
- Consider restricting or disabling in-game purchases to prevent unauthorized spending.
2. Step-by-Step Guide to Setting Up Parental Controls on PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, and mobile devices
You can also set up and use parental controls on gaming platforms such as PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, and mobile devices.
- Go to your Xbox console’s “Settings” menu.
- Select “Account,” then “Family settings,” and choose the child account.
- Now Under Privacy & Online Settings, click on Change Settings.
- Adjust the privacy, communication, and content restrictions to your preference.
- Save the Parental control settings and exit the menu.
- On your PS4 or Ps5 console, Go to the PlayStation “Settings” menu.
- Select “Parental Controls/Family Management,” then click “Family Management,” and choose the child account. You may re-enter your account username and password for verification.
- Set age restrictions, communication settings, and spending limits.
- Save the Parental settings.
- Go to System Settings on the Main Menu.
- Scroll down and look for Parental Controls, then click on Parental Controls Settings.
- Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app will open, where you will find settings to restrict and monitor your child’s play activity.
- Press the X Button and choose Next.
- Click on Restriction Level.
- Now follow the instructions and set the Restriction Level and Parental Pin according to your preference
PC and Mobile Devices
- Visit the Epic Games website and log in to your account.
- Access the “Account” section and select “Parental Controls.”
- Set up a PIN code, customize age restrictions, and manage in-game communication.
3. Customizing Parental Controls to Ensure Safety
Blocking or Limiting Communication with Other Players
- Utilize the in-game settings to disable or limit communication with other players, ensuring a safer online experience.
Monitoring and Controlling In-Game Chat and Voice Features
- Regularly check your child’s chat and voice communication history to ensure they engage in appropriate conversations.
- Adjust settings to restrict or monitor interactions with other players.
Restricting Access to User-Generated Content and Social Features
- Use the parental control settings to limit exposure to user-generated content and restrict access to social features within Fortnite.
If your kids uses Social media apps like Instagram and Snapchat then you can also setup parental controls on snapchat to restrict the inappropriate content. You can also use content blocker apps to restrict the inappropriate or explicit content.
4. Additional Safety Measures for Responsible Gaming
Educating Children about Online Safety and Responsible Gaming Habits:
- Teach your child about the importance of online safety, including not sharing personal information and being respectful to other players.
Encouraging Open Communication between Parents and Children
- Foster an environment of open communication where your child feels comfortable discussing their gaming experiences and any concerns they may have.
Monitoring Gameplay and Being Aware of Potential Risks
- Regularly observe your child’s gameplay and be vigilant for any signs of excessive playtime, changes in behavior, or exposure to inappropriate content.
We recommend every parent or caretaker implement Fortnite parental controls so you can ensure your child enjoys a safe and responsible gaming experience without seeing any inappropriate content or coming across any profanity chat.
The above comprehensive guide, thoroughly written by our Software head and Tech Journalist Parvinder Singh, gives you the knowledge and step-by-step instructions to set up and customize parental controls on various platforms.
It would be best to remember that parental involvement and open communication are crucial in fostering a healthy gaming environment for your child.
Parvinder Singh is a seasoned IT developer and network engineer with over 5 years of experience. He is also a skilled tech columnist, offering insights on the latest trends and developments in the tech industry.