There are several ways to block websites on a Chromebook—one is through extensions, and another is through parental controls in the admin console.
- Block Websites on Chromebook with Extensions
This method is easiest for most users, and it allows you to customize which sites you want blocked. It also lets you choose a different image for blocked sites so that you’ll know at a glance what sites are off limits.
You can also install a porn blocker app on your kids phone to keep them safe.
- Block Websites on Chromebook with child’s account on Chromebook
For Parents, this method may be preferable because it allows you control over all aspects of blocking websites on your Chromebook—you can choose specific sites and categories of sites that should be blocked, and if you’re running multiple user accounts, each one of those users can have their own unique set of blocked sites.
Also, you can use these browsers with Parental Controls to keep your children safe.
- Using Google’s Safe search settings
Google’s Safe search settings are a simple way to block inappropriate content and control what your child sees on the web. You can even see what sites your kids are visiting by signing into their Google accounts.
- Using Parental control Apps
You would be surprised by how many sites are blocked on school computers. In addition to blocking dangerous websites, parental control Apps can also track what web pages are viewed and how long they are viewed for. This means that parents can keep track of what their children are viewing online.
Many of these Apps will also allow you to set time restrictions so that your child cannot use their Chromebook after a certain time at night or during the day if they need to get work done in class. There are many different parental control Apps out there such as Qustodio and Norton Family that make it easier for parents to monitor their child’s usage of technology and to make sure they aren’t getting into anything harmful online.
- How to Set up Parental Controls on Youtube
- How to Set Up Parental Controls on Chromebook
- Enable Parental Controls on PlayStation
1. Block Websites Using family Link app
First you have to create a Google Account for your child:
- Turn on the new Chromebook and follow the instructions.
- Click on Create new account. or tap More options first if you don’t see new account option.
- Enter your child’s details and password
- Follow the instructions to sign in with your own Google Account, provide parental consent, and pick your child’s settings.
Now follow the below steps to block websites on Chromebook.
- Open Family Link app on your Chromebook.
- Select the child you want to enable website restrictions.
- Click on Controls then Content restrictions > Google Chrome.
- Now select the settings that you are comfortable with:
- Allow all sites: Your child can visit all sites. if you put any site in the block list they will not be able to visit that site.
- Try to block explicit sites: This filter setting will block all of the adult sites.
- Only allow approved sites: Your child can only visit those sites which are in the approved list.
So, if you want to block social media sites like: Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Youtube, Instagram and others then you should add them in the block list.
Block or allow a site in Chromebook
Manage the number of approved or blocked sites that your child can access.
- Open the Family Link app.
- Click on the child account.
- Click on Controls > Content restrictions > Google Chrome > Approved sites or Blocked sites.
- Add a website or domain.
This way you can block or allow an individual website on your children Chromebook.
2. Block Websites Using Chrome Extensions
The Chromebook has become a popular choice for schools, and students can use Chrome extensions to block websites. While this is useful to prevent distractions during class or homework time, there are also times when you might want to unblock certain sites. Perhaps you’re using a site for research or checking email from your school’s website.
Here’s how you can use a Chrome extension to block websites on your Chromebook.
>> BlockSite: Block Websites & Stay Focused
BlockSite is a Chrome extension that lets you block any website from your browser, whether it’s for work, school or just for fun. You can create your own blacklist and whitelist of sites to suit any occasion, and BlockSite will do its best to block all the sites on your blacklist.
It can help you stay focused and get more done, by preventing you from visiting sites that may cause you to procrastinate. It’s packed with features to customize your experience, including the ability to block certain sites only during certain times of the day or week. There’s also a unique feature called “whitelist mode” that lets you temporarily unblock a website while still maintaining access to all of your blocked favorites. A simple password protection system can protect BlockSite from being disabled by someone else in case it’s shared with others in your household. And lastly, there’s the ability to add new sites to an automatically generated blocklist or create your own custom blocklist.
>> Block Site Ex
Block Site Ex is a website blocker that allows you to block access to specified sites during certain times of day (or all the time) and set up a PIN code to protect yourself from your own curiosity.
Block Site Ex allows you to block specific sites on a schedule, so that every day at 8:00 p.m., for example, all the social media sites are blocked. You can also block sites for as little or as long as you like. The other great thing about Block Site Ex is the flexibility it offers around what counts as a site. You can block entire websites and subdomains, but you can also block individual page URLs and even individual images on those pages. If you want to prevent yourself from visiting Imgur during work hours, but still allow yourself to visit your actual work site, then Block Site Ex’s got your back.
If you still want to visit the blocked sites when they’re blocked, then just create a custom PIN code that opens the site temporarily. Once you’ve created your schedule and set up your PIN code, Block Site Ex will take care of itself and make sure that the sites are blocked at the right times.
3. Block Websites on Chromebook Using Parental control Apps
Qustodio and FamiSafe is a great way to block websites on Chromebook. They are also good for managing your kids online activity. With these apps, you can block any website you want to prevent your child from visiting them. Also, you will know what your child is browsing online.
I would recommend Qustodio for Chromebook as it has more features than FamiSafe and it is easy to use. However, both of these apps are worth trying out and they are free of cost.
4. Block Websites Using Safe Search
SafeSearch is a built-in feature on Chromebooks that uses Google’s own safe search technology to prevent inappropriate content from appearing in search results. This means that you can block websites by restricting the types of sites that appear when you search for them.
1. Open Chrome and go to google.com.
2. Click on the settings in the bottom right corner. Open search settings.
3. Toggle on SafeSearch.
4. Click on Manage SafeSearch setting and enable SafeSearch.
Parvinder Singh is a seasoned IT developer and network engineer with over 5 years of experience. He is also a skilled tech columnist, offering insights on the latest trends and developments in the tech industry.