In today’s fast-paced world, hoverboards have become a popular means of transportation. However, concerns have been raised about their safety, specifically regarding their suitability for 12-year-olds. Are hoverboards safe for 12-year-olds? Let’s delve into the details and find out.
Hoverboards have become increasingly popular among people of all ages, whether a child, an adult, or a 12-year-old. However, concerns about their safety have been raised due to their speed, balancing, and manoeuvering constraints. Their censors, including gyroscopes and infrared sensors, play a significant role in avoiding accidents.
Ensuring the safety of children and teenagers when choosing an electric scooter or hoverboard is paramount. It is essential to carefully review manufacturers’ guidelines, including hoverboard weight limits and age recommendations, to ensure the device is suitable for your child’s size and age. Likewise, accurately measuring the bicycle frame, from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, aids in determining the correct size.
The comprehensive article below will delve into the various safety considerations and constraints surrounding hoverboards for this age group.
Our team has read and researched various safety features of hoverboards by examining factors such as maturity, physical abilities, and necessary precautions parents can undertake to keep their children safe.
With our research and technical advice from our Software and Technology head Parvinder Singh, we aim to provide an informed perspective on whether hoverboards are safe for 12-year-olds.
In this article, we aim to explore the safety considerations surrounding hoverboards for 12-year-olds and provide an informed perspective on the matter.
Understand Hoverboard Safety
As we all know, Hoverboards and electric scooters are electrically powered devices that are equipped with self-balancing technology (comprising microprocessors and censors).
They have one wheel on each side of a platform on which the user stands, and subtle shifts in body weight control them. Tilting and swerving your body affects the direction and speed of the hoverboard; that’s where the quality, stability, and accurate working of censors are needed.
Also follow the guide to ensure a hassle-free travel experience and understand the regulations and restrictions associated with taking a hoverboard on an airplane and How To Calibrate/Reset A Hoverboard ?.
While hoverboards offer a fun and exhilarating experience, inherent safety risks are associated with their use, irrespective of the user’s age.
Factors to Consider
- Age and Maturity: As we all know as parents that the age of 12 can be a transitional period in a child’s development (learning new things from language skills and reading books to learning arts and crafts), where their motor skills, coordination, and judgment are still developing.
You need to understand, as parents, that it is crucial to consider the individual maturity and responsibility of the child before allowing them to use a hoverboard. There is no recommended age as it depends on the parent’s and child’s maturity level + physical strength + eagerness & interests.
- Physical Abilities: You also need to understand that before using a hoverboard, children need to possess adequate strength, balance, and coordination.
Parvinder Singh says his parents only allowed him to ride hoverboards and other electric devices when he was 10. Younger children might have yet to fully develop these abilities, making it more challenging to handle the device safely.
- Safety Gear: Appropriate safety gear is essential for any hoverboard user, regardless of age. We recommend parents buy all necessary safety gear for their kids while riding bikes and hoverboards – This includes a helmet, knee and elbow pads, wrist guards, and closed-toe shoes. Ensuring that children are equipped with the necessary protective gear can significantly reduce the risk of injuries.
- Skill Development: Before allowing a 12-year-old to ride a hoverboard independently, it is advisable to ensure they have received proper training and have acquired basic riding skills. Practicing in a safe and controlled environment, away from traffic and obstacles, can help them gain confidence and enhance their control over the device.
Explore the intricacies of hoverboards and gain valuable insights into bike riding techniques. Additionally, discover expert advice on customizing your hoverboard to enhance your riding experience and give it a personal touch.
- Quality and Certification: When purchasing a hoverboard, selecting a reputable brand that meets recognized safety standards is essential. Look for devices certified by reputable organizations, such as UL (Underwriters Laboratories), to ensure they have undergone rigorous testing.
- Battery Safety: Lithium-ion batteries power most hoverboards, and there have been battery-related incidents, such as fires and explosions. It is crucial to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for charging and storage to minimize the risk of such incidents.
- Supervision and Boundaries: Parents or guardians should supervise their 12-year-olds while they ride hoverboards, especially in the initial stages. Setting boundaries, such as restricted areas or time limits for usage, can help ensure their safety.
Hoverboards are for everyone, from children to adults, and can provide an enjoyable and convenient mode of transportation for people of various ages, including 12-year-olds.
Many of our team members ride hoverboards and electric scooters for home chores and in-city work commutes – all started riding these devices at different ages – some started early and others in their teens.
However, it is essential to consider multiple factors, such as the child’s maturity, physical abilities, and training, to determine if they are ready to use a hoverboard safely.
We suggest you take adequate safety precautions, including protective gear and adherence to manufacturer guidelines, which are crucial to minimize the risk of accidents and injuries. Ultimately, a cautious and responsible approach and proper supervision can help ensure a safe and enjoyable hoverboarding experience for 12-year-olds.
Parvinder Singh is a seasoned IT developer and network engineer with over 5 years of experience. He is also a skilled tech columnist, offering insights on the latest trends and developments in the tech industry.